Followers

Monday 4 March 2013

Dave Janssen Songs "Why Do I Write Songs"

     Why do I write songs?
     I've been absorbed by songwriting since I was around thirteen years old.  When the Beatles hit the stage on the Ed Sullivan show and my older brother told me that their band members wrote their own songs, for some reason, that hit me in a way that I'd never been able to shake.
     The idea that someone would take a simple melody and a lyrical thought, a story, an emotion and put it down for all to hear inspired me and stays with me to this day.  If people would say, "what did you do?"  "Yes, I worked in a library, I worked in a store, I had a booking agency, I was a teacher, but I wrote songs is what I do and will leave behind someday."
     I suppose we all want to be immortal in some way.  People have children to continue their genetic code into the future. People create huge monuments, buy property,
     A song or literary work is like a child, I think.  We create that bit of sound and lyric combination and let people hear it for so many reasons.  But, it is a piece of us or where we were at that moment in time.  Some songs are an amalgamation of many things imaginary and real.  Some are straight and to the point, raw.  Sadly some songs are just drivel with no purpose. Each song has its own purpose, whether whimsical or serious, perhaps even spiritual.

     For a period of time I will be sharing some of my songs on this blog with explanation as to "why" I wrote them.  Whether "hits" or "misses" these songs had their beginnings in my mind.  Whoever reads my writings might get a better picture of who I am from the body of work that I've created.  In some cases, I might devote to the recording of the songs, who played, curious stories of what went on at the time to make the song or the recording.  This will be a peeling of the onion to see what is underneath.

     Dave Janssen Songs

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed prior to posting