Followers

Sunday 16 June 2013

We're Americans, Too (The Territories Song)

     When I had moved to Guam in 1990 the common question by most of my friends in the US states was, "what is Guam?"  Of course they also said, "where is Guam?"  I had always prided myself in believing that I was quite good in geography and history, but I was at a loss.  I really didn't now myself.  I believe the Oregon state curriculum might have studied the US territories in the 4th grade.  But, I think it must have been towards the end of the school year and our teacher had missed it.  Anyway, I was one of those who didn't know anything about Guam.
     When I returned to Guam after a few years spent back in Oregon, my home state, it was my responsibility to take a "history of Guam" class.  That class spurred many discussion in that many of the participants were also from the states and were curious about the territory status of the United States.  Our instructor, Tony Palomo, a professor from the University of Guam told us all the facts about the territories.
     This was very fascinating to me and I felt moved to "publicize" the territories and what seemed to be their hidden status within the US system.
     In my mind while writing the music for "We're Americans, Too"  I was thinking of "I'm A Yankee Doodle Dandy", at least in the general chord structure.  I wanted something that said proudly "here we are, the territories" but keeping it positive.  So, I used lots of major key chord changes.
     When it came time to list the territories of the United States in the lyrics, I wasn't exactly sure what they all were so I called Mr. Palomo once again and explained my reason for checking with him.  He was more than happy to inform the listeners of my song the correct territories.  Of course after that I had to somehow take that list and make it poetic.  That was a bit of a job.
     The summer after the release of my album, which included "We're American's, Too" I performed this song in the Ashland, Oregon 4th of July parade while sitting in a beautiful car with the music playing loudly from the speakers.
     Years later I also sent 75 cassettes of my album to Guam's US congressman, Underwood, to give to members of congress stressing the song and it's meaning.  "Don't forget about Guam and the territories."


We're Americans, Too (The Territories Song)
     
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed prior to posting