Followers

Monday 26 August 2013

1957

     How does the mind work?  What jogs your memory and directs it a certain way?
     I live in the Clifford Estates, Panyu, Guangzhou, China and ride the free bus shuttle constantly as a perk to living here.  It's free transportation and I benefit from using it.
     The other evening I was sitting on the shuttle bus surrounded by the scores of Chinese residents of Clifford with no directed thoughts in my mind.  In the front of the bus, just above the front entrance is a digital read-out clock.  It reads in military time, with a full 24 hour setting.
     As I was sitting there the clock changed from 19:56 to 19:57, which of course means 7:57 PM to western eyes.  But to me 19:57 became 1957.  That number jumped out at me like God had been talking to me.
     I felt like Jim Carrey in the movie "Bruce Almighty" where God talked to his character through the digital road sign.
     My mind spun back to my time playing music with The Diamonds.  1957 was the year that "Little Darlin'" was number one in the US, selling 8 million copies.  I heard that date every night, or I should say every show that The Diamonds played.  It was part of the dialogue on stage.
Little Darlin' by The Diamonds

     For the rest of that ride on the bus, even though I was in an atmosphere far removed from American Graffitti I thought about my friends and former bandmates as that bus bumped along.  I had worked originally with John Felton, who died in 1982 in a plane crash while we were playing in Nevada.  But, that's another story for another day.
The Diamonds



     

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed prior to posting