Followers

Monday 2 April 2012

Leaving: Tears and Butterflies

Once I had decided to leave Guam and move to China to continue my musical teaching career the superb Chinese workers at Suzhou Singapore International School set to work to get me there with as much speed as was possible.  The principal for SSIS wanted me there "NOW", but I also felt an obligation to leave the school on Guam with as much notice as I could give them.  I had taught at the school in Guam for fourteen years and even if I had little respect for the headmaster and his decisions to harshly deal with my colleagues, I would try to make a change as smoothly as I could.  So, after obtaining my date of departure from the Suzhou crew I gave my notice.

As soon as the departure date was known it became high priority to take care of shipping my belongings to China.  SSIS arranged for a shipping company from Guam to come by, estimate the quantity of goods to be sent, and set up a date for packing and shipping.  I knew from the beginning that it would be months before I saw these goods again, so a reasonable amount of clothes and necessities for my work had to be thought of for inclusion in my luggage.  I would soon find out just how difficult it can be to be separated by an ocean and the confinement within China away from the United States of America.

Because I had been at the school on Guam for such a long time the students were almost like my own children and it was very difficult to say goodbye.  I made my announcement of departure to all my classes and the faces dropped.  Some children gave me artistic projects with their best wishes enclosed.  I had a few long-time friends who wanted to have a meal together and talk.  All the normal daily musical obligations which were a part of my job, such as playing in the school's chapel, were heart-rending experiences because now I knew that I wouldn't be doing this again and hearing these songs performed after fourteen years of being a fixture in that school.

I have to say that walking on the beach of Tumon Bay which was a common thing to do during a week was now a sight that meant so much to me.  When would I walk here again and would I find a place that might be like this in China?  This was one of many things that I had to live without going to this new place.           

I was talking to friends about information to the end that the place I was going to in China was a powerhouse of commerce.  Shanghai and the surrounding area was a magnet for western companies who manufactured their product in that place.  The stories were flying at me from anyone and everyone who had a Chinese connection.  And of course my Chinese friends, many of who I had met through my teaching at the Guam school, were all watching my every move and wanting to know how I might fare in their home country.  In some cases I would be only a short distance from their home cities.

My facebook account was going to be observed by people:  both friends and family.  Most Americans rarely have the experience of living overseas, let alone Communist China.  From an early age we Americans observe this place, another RED country, and fear for our lives for what might happen to us.  Personally, I had a different point of view about China than many of my friends.  I was an historian and tried to understand the world,even if I didn't agree with the differences.  Many people live differently than myself and my family and we all live together in this small blue world.

What I had observed was that China was always a country of living within its boundaries.  Through its long history there have been few times when it had felt compelled to invade a neighbor.  Its main concern was for itself and its people.  If one looks at Confucian teachings, the thinking is more towards an ordered society than domination of others around them, or world domination.  There will be more about this subject in the future.

So, what was this place like that I was leaving?  And what would my new place like?  I've always said to my close friends that "I live for a view" meaning that it's important in my life to see something, even in my daily life, that is beautiful in some way.  Beauty should be a part of  your life, not something that you have to go see.  It should be with you always.  The view from my window:

As I look out the window I see the full panorama of Tumon Bay, Guam.  To my left I see a good sized villa built by the owner of the Tumon water-slide.  He has his place surrounded by artificial adobe walls and a modern beautiful, and well-kept garden.  To my right I see the back of the Duty Free Shopping Mall and over it I see the water of Tumon Bay with the ocean's waves crashing on the reef 150 yards out from the shore.  Closer in and to right is another condominium complex, similar to where I live, painted white with its flat roof, a common architectural trait, and a part of my spectacle.  Straight in front of me, close in (perhaps 500 yards away) is the Guam Hyatt Hotel with its modern colonial exterior.  Further out past the Hyatt Hotel is Tumon Bay as it gently bends and stretches out towards the horizon in the center of my view.  A mile further along that stretch of beach from the Hyatt is the Hilton Hotel, which has been a fixture of Tumon Bay for many decades.  Beyond the Hilton is the end of Oka Point with its crashing waves against the rocks beneath its cliffs.
The sky above is azure blue  with billowy white cumulus clouds which is a regular sight in this tropical island paradise.  This is the view from the window that I leave behind.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed prior to posting