Followers

Saturday 21 April 2012

My First Day Of School

My alarm went off at 5:30 AM that first day of school in Suzhou, China.  I had given myself plenty of time to compose myself before my beginning at Suzhou Singapore International School.  Of course, I was still getting used to the apartment and waking up on the 16th floor was a bit of a thrill for me.  I woke then went to the balcony and looked at the view both close up, the avenue below, and the lake in the distance.  The view was pretty breathe taking.  There was a bit of a haze in the air from pollution (almost a constant weather condition) but other than that it was a lovely view of this very modern and well-kept city.

I sat down to my computer and checked email and Facebook.  This was going to become my new regular start of day routine.  I made some instant coffee and had some cereal.  I knew that the bus was scheduled for arrival at 7:23 AM but I wasn't really sure of how accurate that might be, so I went down to the gate of Chateau Regency 10 minutes early.

At the gate were the guards who greeted me with a nice Ni Hao.  There was a parade of people who walked by me as I stood on the sidewalk waiting.  My guitar and computer were giveaways that I was a little different from the other people gathered nearby.  A friendly Frenchman walked by me and said good morning which made me feel very good.  He was accompanied by a lovely Chinese woman who also nodded and said hello.

A woman walked by with her 2-3 year old son and he also said "hello" with his Chinese accent.  This seemed to be in a very friendly place.  He had a small carton of milk and would drink a little, pour some on the group, over and over.  His mother would tell him no, in Mandarin, and he just kept doing it.  I found this to be quite amusing.

This was day one of my working and it was a very good beginning.  At exactly 7:23 a very modern blue tour bus drove up and stopped while a thin Chinese woman, a Chinese man wearing wire-rimmed glasses, and I got on.  Those on the bus were all Chinese at this point with no westerners, but for me.

It's funny how you can go somewhere far away and still find someone who reminds you of a person you already know.  For me it was a young woman who was sitting in the front of the bus.  I found myself starring at her because she looked just like a young Japanese student that I'd known in Guam.

The bus began its journey zigging and zagging through the cross streets until we made it out to the main boulevard.  This bus driver seemed to be making tracks.  Was this the everyday of my going to work?  This was an exciting trip.

When the bus arrived we had filled it two thirds full, making stops along the way where employees lived.  In this international school all the workers, no matter what their income, would ride the bus together.  I liked this concept.

The day began with me going to the C wing and preparing my room for the first day.  I would plug in my computer, get my guitar out, tune, and make sure my lesson plans were ready to go.

I made it through my first day with no adverse problems and finished the day with the Monday all-school teachers' meeting.  The big highlight of this meeting was when I was introduced to the faculty.  I believe that everyone was very happy, especially my music colleague, to see me.  After the meeting I was introduced to the head of the Arts Department, an attractive Filipino woman.  On the spot she invited me to have dinner with her at Singa Plaza this evening.  I didn't have other plans, of course, and readily took her up on the invitation.

That evening I sat across from her and probably over drank.  I think she was intentionally prying me with liquor to open me up.  She was very open herself and she told me many things about the school and the interaction within the Arts Department, including the personalities that I might want to watch out far, etc.

When we finished dinner she invited me around the corner to a DVD store where she suggested that I purchase some good entertainment DVDs.  I found the entire series of "Lost" and "NCIS" and she offered to buy it for me.  This was so generous of her, I thought.

She put me into a taxi and with my direction cards made it home.  I paid the taxi, went upstairs through the darkened lobby, ascended through the elevator, and I was home to 1605, my apartment.  Again, I was very tired and I quickly changed and went to bed.  My mind was exhausted.


2 comments:

  1. Dave - I am enjoying your narrative. Did you keep a daily journal? I think back on my journals (filled 4) from when we cruised across the Pacific. If blogs had existed at that time, it would have been perfect. Seems to be a jumping off point to writing a book about it. You really convery the sensation of being at the mercy of others and unable to communicate. We take communication for granted......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, No, I didn't keep a daily journal. That has never been my habit. For me I have a very good memory which I've combined with emails and Facebook posts which have brought back specific memories. I have a very visual memory though which is a blessing and sometimes a curse. Communications is a very important aspect in life and isolation can be devastating, especially if you are totally by yourself.

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be reviewed prior to posting