Followers

Saturday 6 July 2013

I'm Too Shy To Send You My Valentine


     We had just moved to Huntington Beach, California  Huntington Beach, California (California Street and I occasionally would ride the bus to my job at South Coast Plaza. The nice thing about riding the bus was that it gave me time to think and even write down ideas which I couldn't when I drove.
     I walked to the bus stop one day and found myself inspired, even though it was early fall, with the idea of writing a valentine day song.  At that time I was always prepared for lyric writing by carrying a steno notebook, so I started singing this little tune that just kept coming until I had the whole song, verses, chorus, and middle 8.  I think I made it through the whole day and then sat down at the piano after work and put chords to it.
     This song has a quirky story with it.  At the time that we moved to California the TV show The Gong Show was the rage  The Gong Show.  I was deep into reading about performance rights groups and knew that if a song were performed nationwide it would bring in a considerable amount just for that one performance, let alone reruns.
     So, I set about calling around trying to find that show's production company.  I found it and sent in a demo which was of my daughter Jennifer singing the song.  That would be our gimmick for winning , by the way, she was 2nd grade at the time and cute, cute, cute, especially singing this song.
     Sorry to say the show went "out of production" and was not renewed by the networks, so case closed.
     There was one continuance to the story however, when we moved from Huntington Beach to Azusa in 1980 we joined a talent competition in the Covina Park and took second place (many thought we should have won) which was a thrill for her especially.  She was a real trooper.
I'm Too Shy To Send You My Valentine at Amazon.con
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C39VO8/ref=dm_dp_trk8?ie=UTF8&qid=1373112378&sr=301-1



http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C39VO8/ref=dm_dp_trk8?ie=UTF8&qid=1372734202=8-1

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed prior to posting